I forgot the password to my computer what do i do?
“How to get into computer if I forgot my password to my computer? My system is Windows 7. I don’t have a reset disk and I don’t want to format my hard drive and reinstall Windows. Very appreciated for your help.” – Question from Ask.com.
Forgot password to computer and cannot get in your computer without password? Do you have the same problem as this?
Don’t disappoint. This article will show you 3 easy and simple ways to help you recover lost windows password on your locked computer.
Option 1: Get into computer with Windows 7 PE disk.
1. Get into computer with Windows 7 PE disk.
This way describes how to create a windows 7 pe boot disk and use it to get in to computer. After getting into computer, you can backup your important data and create a VB script to reset the administrator password of computer. Now follow the guide below:
Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows AIK from Microsoft official site, and install it to a Windows. Microsoft Windows AIK can be installed in Windows Vista or later.
Step 2: Create a Windows 7 PE boot disk.
2.1 Run Deployment Tools Command Prompt as administrator.
2.2 Copy the windows pe image file to an accessible folder: copype.cmd x86 c:/win7pe
2.3 Mount Windows 7 pe image to a folder, so you can access it: imagex.exe /mountrw c:/win7pe/winpe.wim 1 c:/win7pe/mount
2.4 copy the explorer.exe for local computer to system32 folder of Windows 7 pe.
2.5 Unmount Windows 7 pe image: imagex /unmount /commit c:/win7pe/mount
2.6 Replace the source windows 7 image with the new one: copy c:/win7pe/winpe.wim c:/win7pe/iso/sources/boot.wim
2.7 Create a windows 7 pe image file: oscdimg -n -bd:/win7pe/etfsboot.com c:/win7pe/ISO e:/winpe.iso
Step 3: Burn the Windows 7 pe iso file to a CD/DVD disc. Note: You have to burn the ISO image to CD/DVD disc with burning software instead of copying it to the disc via windows explorer directly.
Step 4: Boot the locked computer from Win 7 pe boot disk. If have trouble on setting your computer to boot from CD/DVD drive, please see How to set your comptuer (laptop) boot from CD/USB drive quickly.
Step 5: Backup your data from locked computer or create a script to reset the password for windows 8 user.
To create a script to reset password for Windows 8, 7, vista and XP, you can refer to this article: Reset Windows server 2008 password with a vb script of Windows Server 2008 r2 administrator password recovery
2. Reset (recover) the forgotten computer password with Spower software
Spower password software can help you create a USB or CD/DVD password reset disk and reset the lost password easily. With Spower password tool, you just need a few minutes to unlock a computer password. A few steps, as below:
Step 1: Download and install Spower password reset tool.
Step 2: Use Spower password reset tool to create a password unlock disk. Start Spower software, select “USB flash drive” or “CD/DVD”, and then click “Begin burning”.
Step 3: Insert password unlock disk to the locked computer which you forgot password for.
Step 4: Set the locked computer to boot from USB or CD, and reboot it from password unlock disk.If have trouble on setting your computer to boot from CD/DVD drive, please see How to set your comptuer (laptop) boot from CD/USB drive quickly.
Step 5: Reset forgotten with Spower software. When Spower software starts, it will list all windows and user. You just need to choose the right windows and user and click “Reset” to set a new password for the selected user.
Step 6: Click “Reboot” to restart computer and you can get in computer with new password.
3. Remove the forgotten computer with Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
If you like command prompt, you can use Offline NT Password & Registry Editor remove the lost password for your computer as well as option 2. Offline NT Password & Registry Editor is a free program which you can use without any limitation. You can get it from here (Offline NT Password & Registry Editor) and follow the following instructions to remove the forgotten password of your computer.
1. Unzip the ISO image file from the zip-package. And then burn it to CD/DVD disc. If you don’t have a program to burn the ISO image to disc, you can get Xburnder. Just google it.
2. Set your locked computer to boot from CD/DVD-ROM, and boot your computer from Offline NT Password disk.
3. If you see black background and white text, it means Offline NT Password software starts successfully.
4. Allow Offline NT Password software to choose driver automatically, and it will shows you all windows on your computer.
5. Choose a volume where your windows install in.
6. Choose operation: Remove windows password.
7. Choose a user and confirm it to remove password for selected user account.
8. Save change to registry file and exit Offline NT Password software.
9. Restart computer and you can get into your computer without password.